Friday, March 15, 2013

Review--We R Memory Keepers Envelope Punch Board

This is one of the most anticipated tools that ever came along, and I was so excited when my local Archiver's advertised that they had gotten them in stock.  I called as soon as the store opened and had them hold one for me.  Yes, I was on a waiting list somewhere else, so I also had to cancel that order.  I opted not to wait!  And I thought, after using it, my readers deserved another review, as if you haven't already read them all!

Also, since I am left-handed, I wanted to speak to the 15% of you who share that characteristic!  Yes, you can turn the board upside down and use it--most lefties are able to read upside down, so that isn't a problem.  BUT--since 50% of us lefties work our mouse right handed (including me), I discovered I can work a bone folder right handed as well!  (Some people say this will help strengthen the brain to challenge it this way!)

All of the other reviews stress accuracy in scoring and in choosing the first measurement.  That is correct.  Be dead-on with your measurement, punch that corner, and then score along the raised scoring edge.  Turn counterclockwise and line up the marker on the punch directly in the middle of that score line.  

GREAT TIP:   Some people say it is hard to see the score line!  True, if you are using printed paper for your envelope, but I overcame that problem by just turning the paper over so the white side is exposed! 

The score line is very visible this way.  Make sure the little marker (seen on the punch at the bottom left--looks like the tail of a comma, kind of) is completely centered on your first score line.  Punch and score again.  Turn counterclockwise, line up the marker in the center of the last score line and repeat until all four lines are scored.  Then remove and round the corners at the back of the punch with the built in corner rounder--also operated with the same turquoise punch.  Fold and crease with your bone folder, add adhesive and your envelope is finished!  I do like to either fold an glue down the inside corner that is from the bottom flap where it sticks above the side flaps.  You could also trim it off, which would be easier.  Line up the side flaps (which will be on an angle) and mark the place the bottom flap crosses those lines and trim before gluing.  This is optional, of course, and isn't necessary, unless you just want that particular look to your envelope!

I was a little hesitant to buy this tool, in case it didn't have the latest measurements printed on it (the first shipment had 8 errors in measurements), so I asked if mine had the latest update on it.  Archiver's provided me with the correct measurements printed out on cardstock, in case it was that first version.  When I got home, I checked them, and the ones on my board were correct.  But it is handy to keep the extra printed chart near my paper cutter.  I understand that all the boards coming out now will be correct.

As I figured, I love this new tool!  The measurement for the A-2 card envelope is a little larger in the height than we are used to using, but I didn't buy this for the standard card, since I buy those envelopes by the hundred.  But the card fits inside just fine, and that is better than it being too small!  This is for that occasional card that needs to be bigger (or smaller).  Sometimes I feel limited by the 4 1/4" x 5 1/2" constraints, don't you?  Not anymore!  Thank you, We R Memory Keepers!

1 comment:

  1. glad to read another explanation! I have one on order with Marco's and will have to read this again when I have it in front of me!!

    hugs!
    Allison

    ReplyDelete

Add your comment here: